Top 9 Greatest Classic Rock Drummers of All Time
For the 95.9 The Hawk panel of experts, here are the Top 9 Greatest Classic Rock Drummers of All time.
9. Roger Taylor – As the drummer for Queen, Taylor was known for his powerful and dynamic playing style, as well as his distinctive backing vocals. He was influenced by a variety of music genres, including rock, pop, and electronic music, and his drumming often incorporated unique percussion sounds and techniques.
8. Chad Smith – As the drummer for the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Smith is known for his powerful and groovy playing style, which incorporates elements of funk, punk, and rock music. He is also known for his energetic stage presence and his use of multiple drum kits and percussion instruments.
7. Dave Grohl – Grohl was the drummer for Nirvana before forming the Foo Fighters, and is known for his hard-hitting and energetic drumming style. He was influenced by punk rock and hardcore music, and his playing often incorporates fast-paced beats and heavy use of the cymbals.
6. Phil Collins – As the drummer for Genesis, Collins was known for his powerful and precise playing style, as well as his distinctive voice as a singer. He was also a successful solo artist, and his hit songs like “In the Air Tonight” are still widely popular today.
5. Ginger Baker – Baker was the drummer for Cream and is known for his virtuosic drumming style, which blended elements of jazz, rock, and African rhythms. He was known for his powerful solos and innovative use of tom-toms and other percussion instruments.
4. Keith Moon – As the drummer for The Who, Moon was known for his wild and unpredictable style, which included using explosive drum fills, crashing cymbals, and even blowing up his drum kit on stage. His unique approach to drumming helped shape the sound of The Who’s music and influence generations of drummers to come.
3. Neil Peart – Peart was the drummer for Rush and is widely considered one of the most technically skilled drummers in rock music history. He was known for his precision and mastery of complex rhythms, as well as his innovative use of percussion instruments and electronic drum pads.
2. Alex Van Halen – Van Halen has solid groove and feel, technical ability, musicality, and innovation. Overall, his playing style is a unique blend of power, precision, and musicality, making him one of the most respected and influential drummers in rock history.
1. John Bonham – As the drummer for Led Zeppelin, Bonham is widely considered one of the greatest rock drummers of all time. He was known for his powerful and innovative style, using complex rhythms and syncopation to create a unique sound that helped define the band’s music.